Saturday, May 11, 2013

Thalia Complex, Chapter 4


Orange's hands covered my eyes as we walked down the stairs into the kitchen.

"Please, Orange, we're seniors in high school and I know this dorm like the back of my hand, it's not like I can't tell where we're going. Is this really necessary?" I asked as she led me.

"Yes! A little bit to the right, no, your other right," she giggled as she made me turn, "Forward."

I heard the door to the backyard open and heard Rad laugh softly. We walked outside and Orange led me down the stairs. She led me to the benches in front of the stage and made me sit.


"Keep your eyes closed!" she ordered, "Rad's taking over now."

One pair of hands left my eyes, and another quickly replaced them. I heard Orange giggle and run to the stage. Then music started. The guitar, with the keyboard behind it. Then Duncan started singing.

I could be the first to let you know
that nothing means anything
Now I'm standing here outside your door
in the pouring rain,
And I can't believe
Nothing's supposed to get to me
Now I'm in this misery

I can't be with anyone
since I felt our worlds collide
It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel 
I'm changing got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see,
You ruined me for life



Rad removed her hands and told me to open my eyes. Duncan was on stage with his guitar. His eyes were closed at first as he concentrated, but when they opened, they moved to look at me. Orange sang the background ooh's and aah's as she played the keyboard, but I hardly noticed her, with Duncan right there.

I will be the last to let you down
All your fears and doubts are hovering above you like a cloud
And the water's rising
Now I can't breathe
Nothing's how it's supposed to be,
How did you do this to me
locked inside your heart shaped box.


I can't be with anyone
since I felt our worlds collide
It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel 
I'm changing got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see,
You ruined me for life



Duncan slowly sauntered forward as he played the guitar and sang until he was nearly off the stage, then set his guitar down.

I don't wanna be in love
I don't wanna feel this way
All I wanna do is leave
But all I can do is stay
Nights and days go by and I can't wait to touch your face again



It started raining, but he didn't pause as he pulled me up off the bench and leaned into me, touching my cheek and leaning toward me until our lips were just inches apart.

I could be the first to let you know
That I can't be with anyone
since I felt our worlds collide

It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel 
I'm changing got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see,
You ruined me

He pulled me up to the stage, and swirled me around in his arms as he sang.


I don't wanna be in love
I don't wanna feel this way
All I wanna do is leave
You ruined me for life

As he finished the last lyrics of the song, he pulled me back down to the bench, and we sat next to each other.

A moment after the music stopped, he turned to me, "Thalia, I've been in love with you for years, since we first met. I had a girlfriend, and I thought I loved her. Hell, before we met I was pretty sure I would've married her, if she had asked. But you...you make me so happy. I can't tell what it is, but I know that the song rings true--I couldn't be with her, with anyone, when I always think of you instead. Please, please, tell me I didn't make a mistake when I broke up with her. Please, will you go out with me?"

I couldn't think of a single thing to say. I...I had admitted to myself in the middle of this past summer that I was in love with him but was it true? Or was it just a big crush I had, since I knew I couldn't be with him?

"Just say yes already! We all know you're in love!" Orange shouted with a laugh.

"I..." I looked down and shook my head in shock. He mistook it for a no, I think, from the look on his face when I looked up, but I fixed that quickly, "Yes."

A/N

Song: You Ruined Me by JC Chasez. 

Recognitions for this chapter:

Orange is OPB, author of Different Rain
Rad is Rad, author of Taken
and Duncan is from generation 5 of Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss by StyxLady.

No comments:

Post a Comment